Monday, January 14, 2013

thyroids suck

...at least mine does.

you know what else sucks?
having your endocrinologist on speed dial...

 
 (don't mind andrew's very clever name)

why, might you ask, am i talking about any of this?
because, my dears, i got my thyroid killed on friday.

whaaat? why would anyone do that?
well, let me throw a little knowledge your way:

hyperthyroidism: a condition where the thyroid creates too much hormone.
symptoms: fatigue, heat intolerance, increased appetite, dry/itchy skin...

basically, it was negatively affecting my life in many ways.
so i decided to get rid of it!

 in order to do that, i took a pill,
became radioactive for the weekend, and it was dead!

sounds simple, right?

after that, i couldn't be around other humans for 3 days,
lest i infect them with my radioactivity.

it was a strange, relaxing weekend though...
i watched a whole lot of netflix, cleaned my room, and took a few naps.

was it worth it? we'll find out in a few weeks!

7 comments:

  1. That is crazy! I had no idea such a thing existed! So now what, do they put you on Synthroid? {All up IN your business!}
    The reason I'm curious is because I'm diabetic, and I have borderline hypothyroidism. They only put me on meds because we are tryin' to get preggo. I love thyroids/diabetes/endocrinologists. :/
    Hope you feel better from all of that really soon!
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thyroid issues run in my family and I swear I suffer from them. My mom has hashimoto's and it was really hard for the docs to find it since she goes up and down. I think if I have it I may have the same.

    I hope you're all good after this weekend :)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, that sounds harsh. I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds awful- but at the same time I'm sure you could really freak people out with that radioactive fact!

    Visiting from the blog hop :)

    -Sarah @ A Buckeye in Badgerland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know this is an old post, but I just found your blog a few days ago, and I found this post. I have hypothyroidism, the exact opposite, and it's kind of nice to know I'm not the only one out there who's got a messed up thyroid. But that's so crazy you went and got rid of it! Have you seen an improvement since you had it removed? My doctor just put me on a pill.

    Laura
    http://howdygirl.com

    ReplyDelete